Saturday, March 28, 2009

This Week

Wow, what a week. For an update, we did pick a name Bryce Austin McGowan. He spent about 2 days in the NICU, then he was moved to special care where he has been for the past few days. He had an infection in is lungs and needed to be on an antibiotic to kick the little bugs. He has been doing great on he antibiotic and his oxygen levels were staying up pretty well. They finally let me start breastfeeding, but he isn't a big fan of it. Or he actually is a fan of it because he will not stay awake longer than five minutes to eat. So it takes about an hour for him to eat. But I am not sure that he is getting enough at each feeding, so Ihope he figures out how to be hungry. His oxygen saturation did drop last night and they had to put him back on a canula to keep that up, but luckily they are still going to let us take him home tomorrow with oxygen. However, if he doesn't continue to gain weight, then we won't be able to take him home. I am sure he will be fine though. I have been living here at the hospital this last week. I hate to just sit here and be in the way, but I hate more to sit at home. It feels so awkward to be there all alone. I was so used to having this little guy with me all the time. He is absolutly adorable! I wish I had pictures to put up but I haven't had a chance to organize them yet. We don't have internet at home so it makes it difficult to do all the fun posts that everyone else does. The strangest things have changed in just the short time that Bryce has been here. I look at our house all decorated with wedding photos and portraits, and they look so empty and stupid. Like there is someone missing in them. I can't wait to be ble to fill all those frames up with pics of my little guy. I never thought I could love someone as much as I love my Bryce. Its crazy! I just can't wait to get him home so I can feel like a real mom and have him with me all the time. Especially without all the wires and tubes hanging off of him!

4 comments:

cassiecasperson said...

Wow, Jenna you have been a very busy Mommy!!! I am so excited for you to have your little Bryce. Isn't it amazing how much you can love somebody!!!! We hope all goes well with Bryce. Keep us posted.

Rita said...

Trust me! I understand...

Tina said...

Look at all you've been through in only a week and look at what an awesome mom you've already become. Loving that baby, being there for him whenever he needs you, feeling that emptiness when he's not with you, all those feelings are real and can never be taken from you. You are going to be amazing!!!
I'll be praying that all is well tomorrow so you can go home and enjoy each other!!

Rosalee said...

Don't give up on nursing. When William was born the nurses told me he wouldn't be able to nurse for a few weeks because he was early and his sucking reflex wouldn't be fully developed. Well, I proved them wrong! I kept at it, and he did just fine. It takes time, but it is SO worth it!
Isn't it incredible how our lives totally change when a baby comes. I feel so incomplete when William isn't with me.
I hope Bryce gets better soon. He is in our prayers!