Sunday, January 11, 2009

Hypnobirthing

I am terrified of having an epidural, so I have been investigating Hypnobirthing. My very long time friend first told me about it and I have to admit, I was really skeptical. Through my research there have been claims that through hypnobirthing a woman feels no pain and is free from harmful chemicals that sedate and drug your baby before they come out. This information only feuled my skepticism. But, my long time friend went into labor 7 weeks early and used the hypnobirthing techniques and she was able to deliver a healthy 4 lb 1 oz or so baby "naturally". On a side note, why do they call it a "natural" childbirth? If it comes out the vaginal canal at all isn't it still natural regardless of the use of aneasthetics? Anyhow, her baby was pretty little, but I hear contractions hurt no matter what. So, I became even more interested in hypnobirthing. She said it hurt when she transitioned, but it was doable. So I tell my mother in law about it, (she is starting her second semester in her nurse midwife program so this is right up her alley.) She researched it even more and learned of some classes you can take to prepare you for delivery (or as they call it in the hypnobirthing world, birthing) and for Christmas (since we couldn't go on the cruise with everyone else) she paid for us to take a five week course in hypnobirthing. I was really excited, but I knew my pre-med husband would be even more skeptical than I was. We attended our first class this last wednesday, and met Launie Anderson, a certified Hypnobirthing therapist. She is really funny. She actually approached the method in a somewhat medical way, which was really helpful because we McGowan's believe that medicine is only here to help us. Brett was actually impressed. We got our books and relaxation cds (which actually tell you not to listen to them while operating vehicles and heavy machinery, I think that is really funny.) I have been reading the books and am pretty impressed with the idea of the method. This method is called the Mongan Method after some lady that got the whole movement going. That book however, is extremely anti-medicine. It makes me laugh because I just can't agree with all of it. But, there are some really valuable things in this method and I am excited to learn more. I really hope I can incorporate it into our "birthing" so that I don't have to have an epidural (which terrifies me.)
The real idea of hypnobirthing is not all about hypnosis. There is no watch swinging in front of your eyes while you are trying to give birth or anything. But it is a method which teaches you to relax your body and mind enough to let your body do all the work when "birthing" your child. The thing that makes the most sense to me, is that EDUCATION REDUCES FEAR. I am a firm believer in the idea that the more we know about what happens and what goes on we are better able to make decisions and have more control over the situation. I will post more of this new fangled idea of Hypnobirthing, so stay tuned!

3 comments:

Mama Hypno said...

Congratulations on doing your research and choosing what makes sense to you. I birthed both of my children with HypnoBirthing and like Launie, I am now a HypnoBirthing Instructor for the past 8 years. I love helping couples through the journey of discovering what they want for their child's birth and finding out that they really do have options. I've also have had a lot of couples that one or both are docs, med students or NP and I always find it a bit funny to hear why they choose HypnoBirthing. It always seems to come down to what they have witnessed is NOT what they want for their baby. I've also had couples that have had c-births and the hospital staff is always amazed at how calm the couple remained during the whole ordeal. No matter what happens, the classes are always beneficial to have taken because of just what you said...knowledge is power! All the best with your upcoming blessed event and visit my website when you have a moment and I'll send you a free relaxation download. www.OneBirthAtATime.com

cassiecasperson said...

I too am terrified of epidurals!!! My fist baby we went through some husband coached delivery options and I thought it was going to be great. However when they finally realized that my baby was huge (10lbs 9ounces and 23 and 1/2 inches long)I immediately asked for an epideral. I was really glad I did. He broke my tail bone and I had to have a ton of stitches. On the other hand with my last one we did it naturally and he was 7lbs 4 ounces. I had a much better experience with my last one and it seemed like I was up and about much faster. Side note though I had to realize that a healthy baby was good whether delived with an epidural or not and I also learned that once those contractions hit really hard the epidural doesn't even hurt :). Good luck with the HypnoBirthing it sounds really neat!

Ben and Keenan said...

Jenna - I would love to talk with about this whole idea. I had a great conversation with another friend and I think we can really help eachother. Anyway - you are a truly beautiful pregnant lady! Take care and talk to you soon. Keenan