Monday, January 19, 2009

Hypnobirthing cont...

We have now attended our hypnobirthing class twice now and we are reading the books in between classes. The books are still extremely biased against medicine, but the technique I am beginning to really appreciate. There are somethings that make so much sense to me as I read through these books.

Thing that makes sense to me 1) (I have probably already stated this but oh well) The more you know about a situation, the less fear you will have when placed in that situation. If you truly understand what your body is doing as you labor and give birth, then you are not as afraid when you experience it for real.

Thing that makes sense to me 2) Our (female) bodies were made to do this. If it were impossible or truly difficult, we wouldn't give birth and we would all be stuck in the premortal existence. Through divine planning, we were designed to do this and we can! (this idea is not quite in the book, but it makes sense.)

Thing that makes sense to me 3) There are 3 different types of breathing used in hypnobirthing. There is one specific for birthing, it has an odd name, "birth breathing". This is where you breath your baby down. They really don't want you to practice this until you are much closer to actual delivery, but, try it. Instead of taking a deep breath, holding it, and counting to ten while you bare down to squeeze your baby out, you take a breath and from the top of your abdomen gently knead your baby out. (I don't have my book with me to really explain but I will later.) Instead of using your muscles in the lower part of your trunk which puts more strain on the whole you are trying to open, you use your upper abdominal muscles to push from above the baby while the lower muscles are relaxed and more flexible. Isn't that a genius idea?! I was amazed. This way we work WITH our body as it works to expunge our baby.
I am really enjoying this program. I am still skeptical about some of their ideas, but I really believe the techniques work and I am so excited to try it out on our babies birthing day.

3 comments:

cassiecasperson said...

Sorry Jenna but again I just have to say you are sooooo adorable in your pictures!!!!!

Shan said...

Jenna, you are way too cute! Good luck with eveything! I'm excited to continue to read your blog. Love you!

Anna said...

Hypno birthing worked for me, well done for practising it, that makes all the difference. Check out child birth hypnotherapy stories, it will make you even more confident and relaxed. Good luck!