Thursday, April 12, 2012

Swimming Lessons


I don't know about other places, but here the YMCA does a free Splash Week available to nonmembers every year.  Its a week of free swimming lessons.  We really love it!  Last year Toddles was in a class that had to have a parent with him.  This year, I put him in a nonparent class.  I was a little nervous because he has no fear of water, but I really didn't want to get in the water with him.  He actually did a lot better than I thought he would.  He still doesn't like to be told what to do when it comes to swimming, but he did listen to his teachers was pretty obedient, for him.  I think he really had a good time.  Wednesday he had a hard time and cried a lot.  He doesn't like to be on his back, but other than that he loves the water, so I didn't know what was going on.  Thursday in the care we talked about how it would not be a crying day and it was okay to listen to his teachers, be obedient, be good.  It worked, for the most part.  He wanted to play with a certain toy, and his teacher wasn't cluing in on it so he started crying.  I went over and talked to him, found out what the problem was, told his teacher then she said it was time to play with those toys.  She found the toy he wanted and he was happy.  It was great!  I can understand the problem, he still isn't the greatest at communication with other people and I think that frustrates him terribly, but it worked out okay.  Tomorrow we get to go for family swim time where the kids get to play however they want.  That will be his day, and Daddy said he can come so it will be even more fun!



No comments: