Wednesday, October 5, 2011

13.1

A couple months ago I entertained the idea of running a half marathon with some of my running friends.  I don't think I actually thought it would happen, but it did!  I ran a half marathon, 13.1 miles on September 24.  My friend MaryAnne found a race on a Saturday up in Niagara Falls.  So on race day we headed up early to pick up packets while Brett and her husband brought the kids later. 


I hadn't been able to train as well as I had wanted (or should have) so I was really hoping to do the whole thing in under 3 hours.  Even if I had to walk I would finish it.  Much to my surprise and joy, but I did it in 2 hours 14 min and 30 seconds!  I couldn't believe it.  That is a 10:16 minute mile!  A perfect pace.  Although, I had done the first 7 miles at a pace at about 9:15, then I really slowed down.  But, I didn't stop, and I didn't walk.  I ran the whole thing!

Last year I (jokingly but probably would have done it if he said yes...) asked Brett if we could put some running stickers on our car, you know, cause it looks cool.  He said the only way I could put a running sticker on the car was if I actually ran a race.  When I finished the race he said we could get a sticker, and as soon as we got home he ordered one from Amazon.  I half ran the race just for the sticker. 


I was go grateful to Brett for supporting me in this.  He was able to park at a couple stops along the route so he and Toddles could cheer me on, and that was such a blessing.  Twice he showed up just when I needed a boost to keep going.  The route was beautiful.  We ran through these cute little towns and right next to a river.  Then we ran through a park and all around historic Fort Niagara,  which was really cool.  Then we ran on the express way for about 4 miles and that was pretty tough and hot.  But then we turned a corner and the finish line was right in front of Lake Ontario.  It was a perfect day for running a race.  They had provided some delicious apples at the finish line so we sat on the beach while Toddles through rocks into the lake.  It was a perfect day. 
Since we were in Niagara Falls and so close to the Falls, we decided to be tourists and check it out.  It was really fun too.  The falls are incredible.  We took the boat ride, "Maid of the Mist" to see the falls up close.  Toddles really loved it.  He talked about it for a week.  I was pretty excited to be in the place that Jim and Pam got married. 







It was a very special day.


2 comments:

MaryAnne said...

So proud of you for doing it! Maybe we'll be there again in a year . . .

Tina said...

Oh Jenna, that is wonderful!! Wow!! That is a huge accomplishment. What a perfect day spending it with your family and going to Niagra Falls and going on that ferry. I could picture it all with your little boy throwing the rocks, relaxing and eating the apples. How fun!! Thanks for sharing and congrats!!!