Thursday, May 5, 2011

Obsessions

Right now I have two obsessions

1) Running: I really enjoy it and now that its not snowing (now that I said that it will probably snow) its even more enjoyable.  I love to be up and outside in the early mornings (I also love to sleep in, so a lot of mornings I have some serious psychological dilemmas.)  I love to hear the birds in the early morning.  It makes me think of that primary song... "In the leafy treetops the birds sing good morning, they're first to see the sun they must tell everyone, in the leafy treetops the birds sing good morning."  I love it, and for some strange reason if its going to be a rainy day the only time you see the sun is when its rising at 630am.  The air is clear and crisp.  Its a great feeling.  Then when the run is over, my body and mind feel so good, and the day already feels like its going to be awesome!  We always have a better day when I have gone running.  I am a much nicer, patient, fun, and loving mom.  Last year, I was struggling to exercise and it was really hard to motivate myself to get moving.  Then my friend Morgan asked if we wanted to do the Freedom Festival 5K with them.  We did it and I fell in love with racing.  SO, I am so excited to do the 5K again, but this year my brother and sister are going to do it with me. ( Brett will be in Texas, he would do it if he could be there.)  Its going to be a lot of fun.  Onto the next obsession...
2) Blondies: Talk about dilemmas... We have a recipe swap group that meets every month and we bring recipes and talk about them.  When you read cookbooks and recipes like a novel, recipe swap is awesome.  Everyone brings such wonderful recipes, but my favorite right now is Rebe's recipe for Blondies.  If you don't like chocolate (I know, inconceivable) its a great alternative to brownies.  I actually like these better than chocolate brownies. They are more like caramal brownies.  Here's the recipe:
1 C butter, softened
2 C br. sugar
2 Eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
Cream butter and sugar.  Add in eggs and vanilla.  Mix dry ingredients in.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes in a greased 9X13 pan.  Once cooled, frost with maple frosting.
Maple frosting:
p. sugar
butter
canned milk
1 tsp maple flavoring
mix until smooth

This stuff if amazing!  If you have every had a maple bar or a cougar tail at LaVell Edwards stadium they taste similar to that.  Delicious. 
Enough talk, Here are some pics of our Cool Cat!  I know that's what you want anyway...


Totally asleep with both feet off the floor.

He fell asleep DURING the blessing before dinner.

1 comment:

Rebe said...

Thanks for the shout out! I am glad you love those so much- we do too!