Sunday, October 3, 2010

Awesome Stuff


For weeks I had struggle with my kitchen, there just wasn't enough going on there.  I knew I needed some curtains but I just couldn't find any that I liked.  I looked online for some good fabric, but I didn't want to order it. What if I didn't like it when it arrived?  I didn't know what to do, and I had kinda given up on it.  I was at JoAnn's Etc. one day and came across some black and white demask fabric that I loved.  I thought it was good as any to go in my kitchen.  So I grabbed some matching green fabric and was all set to come up with some sort of curtain.  The cutting table was a nightmare, there were tons of people who did not understand the concept of taking a ticket and waiting your turn.  So I stood there for a long time. (Please insert Jeapardy music.)  On a rolling table there sat some brand new unwrapped bolts of fabric.  And within that pile there it was.  Have you ever had fabric speak to you?  This one did.  It plainly said... "Here I am, I am everything you wanted for a kitchen curtain.  I am you in fabric!"  I agreed and threw down my damask and green fabric and wrestled with the pile to obtain my perfect fabric.  After finishing the veil for Leora (which matched her dress perfectly) I started designing and making my curtains.  I was going to put some piping in towards the bottom, but I couldn't find the perfect color.   
So, these are our new addition to our kitchen.  I love this fabric.  I got an interior design mag in the mail, and in it, there was a chair upolstered in the very same design.  I also saw it somewhere else, but I can't remember where.

On Thursday it rained all day long.  It didn't stop until about 7, and even then it wasn't really stopped.  I loved it.  I let Baby play out in the rain for an hour, I noticed through the quads these two beautiful reds.  The leaves are really starting to change out here.  It is getting gorgeous. 

Baby loves to play with all the monster toys available.  Even if his bum gets soaked.


Everyone needs a cape and some monster feet.  He actually kept the cape on for about 45 minutes.  And he loves he slippers.  I found them at a Carter's outlet store before we had him, I just loved them.

Have you ever made something and thought... "That was amazing!"  This was one of mine.  I had some soup at Panera the other week and thought about it for days.  I had to ave it again, but I didn't want to go out.  I found a recipe online and tweaked it to my own personal taste.  Broccoli cheese soup.  It was divine!  I had some crescent rolls in the fridge that needed to be cooked so I lad them flat on the sheet and baked them with a little cheese on top.  It was so good.  The recipe called for 16 oz. of cheese, but Brett doesn't like a whole lot of cheese in soup so I only put 1/2 c. in and put extra on the table.  It didn't even need the extra.  It was soooo good.  Creamy, smooth, and delicious.  I know a lot of you out there are wondering about the broccoli thing.  Yes it is true, in my younger days I didn't not have an affinity for broccoli.  But now I really love it.  Especially with some lemon on it.  But don't worry, I haven't changed all that much.   I still detest peas.  And that will never change.  Recipe to follow.

Jenera Broccoli Cheese Soup
2 Tb butter
1 Med Onion, chopped
Saute and set aside

Melt 1/2 c. Butter on stoveon med. heat.  Add 1/2 c. Flour.  This is the roux.  Cook it slowly until barely golden, do not burn it.

Slowly add 4 C. Half and Half whisking constantly.
Then add 4 C. chicken stock.  Stir and simmer for 20 min.

Add 1 lb broccoli that has been cut into bite size pieces, and 2 c. carrots that have been julienned (cut into thin strips.)  Let this simmer until tender.

When vegetables are tender, remove 2 cups and add to onion/butter mix.  Place in a blender or food processor and puree.  Then add it back in with the rest of the soup.  This helps to thicken the soup.  Some people puree the whole thing, but we like chunks so I only do a little bit.
Season with salt (if needed) and white pepper.

Add 1/2 c. (or more) grated cheese stir until melted right before serving.
Serve with croutons or bread or whatever you want. 

I said it was delicious, not healthy.  But it could very easily be a vegetarian soup.  Some people add nutmeg, hot sauce and mustard. 

2 comments:

Camille said...

You are so crafty :)
Also, love the new blog layout.

Morgan Hardin said...

I am going to try that soup. It looks yummy! And awesome job on the curtains...they look great!